- Excess production of sebum (seborrhoea) is the first and earliest symptom of acne (sometimes even before the onset of puberty)
- In the hydrolipidic film, the outermost barrier of the skin, this leads to an increase in lipophilic ("oil-loving") substances. Affected the most are the skin areas with the highest concentration of sebaceous glands like the face, upper chest, shoulders and back.
- A visible change in the skin is the comedo
- The whitehead is a closed and the blackhead an open comedo
- Further visible symptoms of acne are papules, pustules and nodules
!Good to know:
Cosmetics in general can be comedogenic, i.e. they promote the formation of comedos. The ingredient declaration on the package tells you which products to ban from your toiletry bag.